Saturday, September 21, 2013

Biking With a Purpose

Take the bike poll on the right and let's see how people respond.

It's simple. Just check the boxes that apply and click vote.  It won't take you to another site and doesn't need your email.

A number of years ago I committed myself to biking, especially for local trips.
Why?  Basically, I want to reduce how much pollution I create.  I'll ride to work, to get groceries, run errands and sometimes just ride for fun.  Mostly, I have a destination or a non-recreational purpose.
How far?  As much as possible, if I have 3 miles or less to go, I'll bike.  My work is only 2 miles away, just under the "get sweaty" distance.
Gear?  I've learned to that you've got to get the gear if you want ride.  I don't like changing clothes, so I want to be able to put on my work clothes in the morning and not take them off until I'm home from work.  I also don't like to take much time getting dressed or fussing with stuff.  This means getting outerwear for rain/cold, lights for darkness, and a set of tires for ice.  I also got a cargo bike that can carry another 440 lbs besides my weight so I can actually run errands.  At some point, I'm sure I'll get a trike and/or a trailer.

Pros

  • I find that I'm much less frustrated with traffic and travel.  Trips under 2 miles usually only adds 2 to 5 minutes to my travel time, but sometimes, I can actually get to my destination in less time.
  • I feel less isolated and more connected to people and nature.  It's easy to stop, talk, smell flowers, listen to birds.
  • I worry less about hitting people/animals/objects.  It may not seem like much stress, but think about how vigilant car drivers must be from opening the door, to backing up to driving at high speeds.
Cons
  • It seems like roads and paths were designed by those who drive motorized vehicles.  It doesn't take long to realize this if you ride with a purpose.  Bike paths are great for family or leisure rides, but not so great for those who are trying to get somewhere.
  • Bike parking is much better, but it still is an issue at some locations. Car drivers would agree, no one wants to park in the back or at some out of the way spot where you feel less secure.
Try biking with a purpose sometime and see what you think.
Taking Ref to lunch on my Yuba Mundo in the winter
Getting groceries at Aldi

Taking my road bike home

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas, Tim. I can see an Elkhart Truth blog coming out of this. I'll let you know if I need more info.

    ReplyDelete